Friday 24 September 2010

Blog Assignment #4: My Online Persona

Facebook has become a social network for more than 500 million users worldwide. While Facebook is a diverse tool that taps into many subcultures and brings together generational gaps, it has the ability to create a distorted persona. Each page is customized to appeal to a certain subculture; however often times the pictures and text posted can be misinterpreted or offensive to other subcultures. Are your Facebook friends, really your friends? When is it appropriate to accept or send a friend request? Facebook is unlike any other form of personal representation that exists because one is able to incorporate multiple forms of media and text. Although the author of each page is known, information is constantly being updated by others. Privacy has become a huge factor to consider when displaying your personal information to the world. Facebook has ultimately turned into a second form of resume for highly competitive businesses; however separating your personal life from “strictly business,” is not an easy task. Putting out to much or too little information can raise suspicion. Facebook has ultimately caused many people to have dual personalities and break social boundaries.

It is important to maintain your personal and professional lives as separate entities and not fuse them into one Facebook page. Facebook pages are designed to appeal to the masses so it is crucial to realize that different subcultures may react differently to your profile. Because so many different forms of media are used on Facebook, it gives the public instant access to your mood or personality. I personally choose to delete pictures and videos which I necessarily do not find offensive but may be offensive to others. Facebook has become in essence a second form of resume. In seconds, your employer can pull up your page and find out what kind of person you are outside of the work setting. I strictly enforce limited visibility because in my culture it is common to drink alcohol from a young age; whereas it is scandalous and illegal to drink before the age of twenty one. This example has caused me to enforce strict privacy settings on my Facebook to avoid any misinterpretations between cultures. Bridging generational gaps is not an easy task. Relatives have connected to me that I haven’t seen in years. Although I am thankful that I can see how well they’re doing, often times I fear they will tell my parents “dirty little secrets,” (ironically I logged on to facebook during this post). Facebook has redefined and given another dimension to social networking.





No comments:

Post a Comment